It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Favorite authors

This forum is for discussing the roles women have in Fantasy, whether it be as writers or as characters. We seek to celebrate and innumerate the contributions women have made to the genre; to discuss those who continue to push the genre into new and exciting territories, and to foster a respectful conversation among writers and readers alike. Who are your heroes? Who are the writers who have written better Fantasy than their male counterparts, and why? Let’s talk, and celebrate Women in Fantasy!

Favorite authors

Post by Teresa Edgerton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:36 am

Tanith Lee for so many, many reasons and so many, many books and short stories. She is the only writer I can think of who was so very, very prolific and still wrote astounding books while maintaining writing of such a high quality. Her characters are memorable, her settings vivid, and her prose beautiful without being too ornate. Perhaps my favorite author of all. She can be very dark at times, and I am not a fan of dark, but I have always been willing to let her take me there because her books are so extraordinary.

Hope Mirrlees, although she only wrote the one fantasy, Lud-in-the-Mist, but it's a classic, one of my very favorite books, and gets better every time I read it.

Sylvia Townsend Warner's short stories about the faerie kingdoms are favorites of mine. Her fairies are obsessive, sometimes kind and sometimes cruel (very often the latter), and their societies very complex. Interactions between fairies and humans (not all of her books involve these) rarely go well. I love her elegant, vivid prose. In fact, if this list tells you nothing else, you will find out that I adore elegant and vivid prose.

Patrica McKillip. Most of her plots are highly original, but sometimes she will take what you at first think is going to be a familiar story and then take it in unexpected directions. And again the gorgeous prose.

Re: Favorite authors

Post by Martin Owton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:25 pm

I retain a great deal of admiration for Juliet McKenna, principally for the quality of her world-building. She is an example to all would-be fantasy writers.

Return to Women in Fantasy