It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 am

Favorite Authors

Women in science fiction: the forum to talk about your favourite books by women writers. Love Becky Chambers? Tell us why? Can't get enough of Lois McMaster Bujold - what is it you like? We're here to celebrate them all.

Favorite Authors

Post by CliveTern » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 pm

I'll happily kick this off.

I have memories of Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet, but haven't dared re-read it.

My absolute favourite is Mary Gentle. I recently re-read the Orthe books, and was entranced again.

In short stories there are three current writers, both quite new, who I follow avidly. Alexis A Hunter, G.V. Anderson & Natalia Theodoridou. Between them they've been in Shimmer, Uncanny, Clarkesworld, etc. Top of the game, and well worth seeking out.

Re: Favorite Authors

Post by Teresa Edgerton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:17 am

C. J. Cherryh -- she's so prolific and excellent she'd be worth a topic of her own. Her SF books (which are too many to list here) can be dense and complex, but no one does aliens and alien civilizations like Cherryh. I also love her science-fantasy Morgaine books.

Tanith Lee was principally known for fantasy although there is no sub-genre of speculative fiction I can think of that she didn't write in at some time. Of her SF, I especially enjoyed Sabella.

Then there is Anne McCaffrey. When she wasn't writing the dragon books, which I'd call science-fantasy, she also wrote quite a bit of SF, some of which is very fine.

And Liz Williams is excellent, and her books are always full of unexpected things.

Post by jo zebedee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:25 am

For me, Lois McMaster Bujold is the go-to. But, also, I've recently started reading Pat Cadigan's older works (particularly her short work) and she is immense. Why she isn't more talked about confuses me greatly. On the more modern basis, I'm hearing fantastic things about Jodi Taylor and looking forward to delving in next year.

Post by stewarthotston » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm not a 'series' kind of guy but, for me, the really amazing SFF books by Female authors are slightly off piste.

I loved The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, I also equally loved Back to Black by Hilary Mantel and The Golem and Djinni by Helena Wecker. They're not SF but fantasy, so I guess I should say some SF authors too!

It's harder. I'd say Justina Robson. And I look forward to what Anne Leckie's going to do next.

Post by Cathbad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 pm

My fav is Jo Zebedee! I don't care how "new" she is, her writing is superior! The Inheritance Trilogy is the greatest Sci-Fi I've read in years!

:)

Post by jo zebedee » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Cathbad wrote:My fav is Jo Zebedee! I don't care how "new" she is, her writing is superior! The Inheritance Trilogy is the greatest Sci-Fi I've read in years!

Well I call tonight Christmas! Thank you! :)

Post by JR Handley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:40 am

You know, what first draws me in is the story. Nothing else matters to me. A cover to draw me in, a story to keep me hooked. At that point, you could be a Smurf and I'll hunt down your other works. An interesting post would be female characters in science fiction!
JR Handley

~Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!
Chaplain Lieutenant Howell M. Forgy, USN

Post by JR Handley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 am

Cathbad wrote:My fav is Jo Zebedee! I don't care how "new" she is, her writing is superior! The Inheritance Trilogy is the greatest Sci-Fi I've read in years!

She IS super awesome!
JR Handley

~Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!
Chaplain Lieutenant Howell M. Forgy, USN

Post by Carolyn Hill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Ursula Le Guin is my absolute favorite, but like Jo, I'm also a big fan of Lois McMaster Bujold, especially her Vorkosigan books. The mix of science fiction, romance, action, and world-building in Bujold's novels keep me turning the pages happily.

Sharon Lee (who co-writes the Liaden series with her husband Steve Miller) is another writer I enjoy--again, for novels of galactic-spanning adventure, world-building, and romance,

And then there's Pat Murphy. And Connie Willis. Vonda McIntyre. Joan D. Vinge. Tanya Huff. And many more.

Return to Women in Science Fiction