It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Favourite type of male hero in sci-fi

In the heydey of the Golden Age, the men of Science Fiction were Men – suave, intelligent, always likeable, always handsome, always well-intentioned and always victorious. SF has changed through the decades in many respects, and along with it, the world, and the roles men play in both life and fiction. This forum seeks to give readers and writers the space to talk about Men in Science Fiction – how roles have changed, or not; your favourite characters and male SF writers; perhaps even what men bring to SF and where they might fear to tread.

Favourite type of male hero in sci-fi

Post by Nick B » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:03 pm

What type of protagonist do you like? An out and out hero? An anti-hero? Something in between?

I like male protagonists who are broken in some way, too much baggage, too much life experience that has kicked them down hard but they just refuse to stay down.
Michael Marshal Smith is hands down my favorite author. His hero's are usually in situations out of their control, they are usually weighed down with just too much life. Violence, drugs, bad relationships, lost loved ones, whatever, they are not usually heroes, just men who are trying to do the right thing, even though the world is beating them down.

So, do you like the Luke Skywalker type? Shiny moral compass, nice hair and good teeth? Or do you prefer the Han Solo types? The guys who will shoot first, because they won't take a bullet first, just to be sure its a bad guy?
Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing...

Re: Favourite type of male hero in sci-fi

Post by Gary Compton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Yes me too!

A perfect hero is Mary sue.

Got to have someone with plenty baggage, compilcated and likes liquourice allsorts

Gary Compton: master of his own destiny...

Re: Favourite type of male hero in sci-fi

Post by JR Handley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 am

I like him complicated but consistent with the world that spawned him!
JR Handley

~Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!
Chaplain Lieutenant Howell M. Forgy, USN

Return to Men in Science Fiction